The page you are looking for is temporarily unavailable.
Please try again later

US News Worboys victims challenge release of rapist

08:45  13 march  2018
08:45  13 march  2018 Source:   news.sky.com

Taoiseach reveals his 'shock and disgust' at alleged child sex abuse case in Munster

  Taoiseach reveals his 'shock and disgust' at alleged child sex abuse case in Munster Taoiseach reveals his 'shock and disgust' at alleged child sex abuse case in Munster"The crimes alleged are shocking, abhorrent and truly disgusting," the Taoiseach frankly told the Dáil.

"Black cab rapist " John Worboys faced one of his victims in court as an appeal to challenge his release was granted. Worboys , who was jailed for drugging and sexually assaulting passengers, was due to be freed on licence.

A judicial review over the Parole Board's decision to release black-cab serial rapist John Worboys will not take place, the Justice Secretary announced. Victims given go-ahead to challenge Worboys release .

John Worboys carried out the attacks between 2002 and 2008 © PA John Worboys carried out the attacks between 2002 and 2008

Victims of black cab rapist John Worboys will head to the High Court later today to challenge his release from jail.

Two victims and London Mayor Sadiq Khan were given permission last month to mount a challenge over the lawfulness of the decision to free the serial sex attacker.

Three judges in London will hear the action against the Parole Board over two days and Worboys, 60, is expected to appear via videolink from prison.

He remains behind bars because a temporary bar on his release, initially imposed by the High Court in January, was renewed by Sir Brian Leveson and Mr Justice Garnham during February's hearing.

M25 rapist dies waiting for parole decision

  M25 rapist dies waiting for parole decision A man known as the M25 rapist has died in jail while being considered for release. Antoni Imiela, 63, was given seven life sentences in 2004 for a series of rapes across the Home Counties against victims as young as 10.A Prison Service spokesman confirmed Imiela had died in custody at HMP Wakefield on Thursday."As with all deaths in custody, there will be an independent investigation by the Prisons and Probation Ombudsman," the spokesman added.

Two victims of black cab rapist John Worboys have launched a crowdfund appeal to raise money to legally challenge his imminent prison release .

Image caption John Worboys gave his victims drug-laced champagne before he attacked them. The release of black cab rapist John Worboys from prison has been put on temporary hold following a legal challenge by two of his victims .

Worboys was jailed indefinitely in 2009, with a minimum term of eight years, for drugging and sexually assaulting female passengers in his cab.

Many of his victims had been drinking in West End and Chelsea bars and Worboys would offer them champagne spiked with powerful sedatives to celebrate a made-up lottery win.

  Worboys victims challenge release of rapist © press association

He would attempt to prove this by showing them a carrier bag stuffed with cash.

He would then pounce on his victims in the back of his vehicle as they were left insensible and unable to protect themselves.

Worboys, who now goes by the name John Radford, was convicted of 19 offences against 12 victims, but has been linked to more than 100 complaints.

A Parole Board decision that he should be freed on licence after spending less than a decade behind bars was widely criticised by his victims and politicians.

Phillippa Kaufmann QC, for the victims, told the court on the previous occasion that it appeared something had gone "very wrong", and they were "concerned not only for themselves but for the wider public and women in particular".

The victims were also concerned, she said, that the release decision was "made entirely in secret".

The Sun newspaper is also taking part in the legal action after Sir Brian and Mr Justice Garnham gave permission to proprietor News Group Newspapers to challenge the Parole Board's refusal to publish its decision.

The Sun's lawyers say the refusal was "unlawful" and breaches the newspaper's right to freedom of expression.

Boko Haram Release Kidnapped Girls, Warn Parents Not To Send Them To School .
The Islamist militant group also said they had returned the girls out of feelings of pity.A witness in the town of Dapchi, where a number of the girls had been returned to, told the Associated Press that Boko Haram claimed to return the girls “out of pity.” The group also warned: “Don’t ever put your daughters in school again.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!